Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Flash Fiction (7)

Jackie, Blodeuedd, and I are back to working up some Flash Fiction fun. We will do flash fiction posts every two weeks, give or take due to holiday's and such. I will post my complete story here. Jackie will add the beginning and a link to her flash fiction on her Live Journal and Blodeuedd will be posting on her blog.

Enjoy our quick glimpses into worlds of the unknown.

~~~~~~~~~~
(Untitled)
By:  Melissa Hayden

Sarie looked over her shoulder. She was able to keep her wings still now, as she walked through the dark forest far from the village. Everyone thought she was always hyper on fairy dust with the constant movement of her wings, ever so slight even but it was movement. Movement so they didn't see what the shades of blue, purple, and black drew when still. Her mother knew, and she was the only one.

The fairies of the earth would have thought her evil and kicked her from their band if they saw her wings still. Everything here is about living, and Sarie was scrapping by on duties by helping with small things. She was good at making paths of dirt or bare stones to sit on. She could even create benches of old wood. However, she couldn't make the beautiful flowers that shone bright in the sun like the other girls. The few flowers Sarie did make were not of vibrant colors, they were dull and dark of a death essence to them. But she couldn't bring herself to share this with the others. The strange part of it all for her was her flowers only formed from the flowers that had died and moved on to make rich soil for the next flower.

Sarie looked over her shoulder as she crept to the other side of the lake. She made this journey many times in the last ten years. Ever since she passed on Sarie's tenth birthday she'd come on the anniversary of her passing and Sarie's own birthday. She'd always sworn to Sarie she'd be there for her. Sarie needed her as she was the only one that knew what Sarie was. Sarie also made this journey every time one of the fairies passed on to be one with the land they loved. The pull from the dead was to much and she had to dispense of it somehow.

The twigs faintly shifted under her steps. The branches of the bush wilted away from her, granting her access to her spot at the lake. Sarie knelt at the lake side. She felt the thorny vine tattoos shift on her arms, swirling down her arms as she reached for the water's surface.

"Hello, mother." Sarie whispered. She didn't need to whisper but it felt...normal that way.

"Sarie dear. It's happened again?" The voice was like the wind in Sarie's ear. "I wish I could hug you, my child." The skeleton floated to the surface as the thorn tattoos swirled faster.

"It's okay mother. Coming to you and doing this is what helps make the draw subside until the spirit has passed into the earth." Sarie smiled. It was true, yet she wished her mother could hug her again too.

"There are to many passing to soon." Her mother paused then went on, "Has anyone ever seen--" Her mother started to ask.

"No mother. I've kept the skull secret. They haven't seen or figured it out. But I don't know how much longer I can keep it from them. They are expecting much more from me. More of things I can't give, like the rest." Sarie knew if she couldn't pull her own weight she wouldn't be much help to her cousins and fellow fairies.

Her mother knew her thoughts. "They will never ask you to leave for not being strong enough."

"I know mother." Sarie rushed out, "But I want to give like they give to me."

"Sarie dear, it is time." There was silence as they both were afraid to talk about it. Finally her mother went on, "My sweet bearer, you are as important as those who bring life. We haven't had one of your affiliation in far to long and they have forgotten how important you are. Your powers call upon you when one passes to the earth as you are to help guide that soul to it's next life. They will look in the ancient records, and they will find the truth. The time has come child."

"Mother, I don't know if I can. I've lived in secret for so long."

"I know. But from the whispers I'm hearing, they are going to need your calling to help them all. There are evils unlike any they've seen in the past brewing in the distance. And they are coming this way."

"I'll try mother." Sarie wiggled her fingers on the waters surface, remembering the feel of her mothers long lost soft skin.

"You need to tell them dear. And if you are shunned, don't go far. They will be calling you back soon." Sarie felt the wind curl around her in a hug fashion and curled her shoulders with it.

"Thank you mother. I should head back before I'm missed."

"Safe travels my dear." Her mother said as the skeleton slipped into the murky water of night.

Sarie stood there for a moment longer before she left. The thorn tattoos had gone still on her shoulders once again. The village had always thought her mother left to travel the world, not that she had passed on from the vibrant living. She had always hoped to become strong enough to bring her mother back from the dead, but hadn't yet come to that level. Besides, what good was it to be a necromancer fairy in the world of living?

~~~~~~~~~~

My story is a bit shorter this week. Here's the preview and link to continue reading:

<i><b>The Darkness</b></i>, an original short story by Jackie Lester

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;As I lay in the dark room, I thought about all of the possibilities.
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;What if magic was real? Maybe I could grow a pair of wings. Great, diaphanous ones that could take me far away from here. They would be in shades of purple, my favourite colour, and would sparkle in the light like they&rsquo;d been constructed from some material only found on the moon. They would be beautiful and powerful and see me safely through any situation.

The rest can be read by clicking here.

4 comments:

  1. A necromancer fairy, cool! Another great story that could be the beginning of something much bigger :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, I thought there might be more here too....but I don't know what that is yet. I just love the idea of a necromancer fairy though. :)

      Delete
  2. I do like that we were all different :D
    And necromancer fairy, nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blodeuedd, I think that is the best thing with these flashes, we are so different. :) And thank you!

      Delete